Sunday, August 12, 2007

Spicy Ginger Zucchini Loaf


My mom made this at least a few times every summer while I was growing up. My grandfather grew zucchini in his garden and gave us loads of it in exchange for a loaf or two of sweet zucchini bread. I honestly don't remember my parents making any other use of the zucchini, so I didn't even think of it as a vegetable for a long time.

I've made a few adjustments to my mom's original recipe to add some whole wheat flour and exchange the sugar for agave. Also adding way more spice to suit my tastes.

Spicy Ginger Zucchini Loaf

1 1/2 C unbleached white flour
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 TB cinnamon
1 TB garam masala
3/4 C canola oil
1/2 C sour cream
3 eggs
3 C grated zucchini
3/4 C agave nectar
2 TB molasses
1 TB vanilla extract
3/4 C chopped candied ginger
1 1/4 C walnuts

Set oven to 375, grease 2 loaf pans (I also line the bottom with wax paper)
Stir together dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. Stir together wet ingredients in another bowl (this includes zucchini). Add to dry ingredients, folding lightly until just blended. Stir in ginger and walnuts.
The batter will be fairly thick. Evenly distribute into 2 pans, bake for an hour, keep baking until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: